Saturday, May 28, 2011

Project #1: Shaker Table FINISHED!!!

I am finally done with my table.  I stressed a lot about the paint color, but I love the way the green looks with the walnut.  ***UPDATE*** I decided not to sell my table.  Instead I gave it to my friends Joe and Kristin who generously gave me a place to stay for free my first 2 months back in Boston.

Here's the pictures:

Complete

Lapped dovetails

Turned knob, then painted, oiled and waxed
Drawer from behind- You can see the through dovetails on the corner.  Also, the drawer bottom is a separate piece that slides in from the back.  It is beveled to fit into a small groove, as to not take away strength from the sides, but leave maximum thickness so the bottom is sturdy too.

The knob goes through the drawer and is wedged from the inside.  Despite having a backing board, the inside of the drawer front still blew out when I drilled the hole. :(  Also, I was so concerned about keeping the knob seated against the drawer front while pounding the wedge in that I forgot to use glue. Luckily, once the wedge is in, it doesn't come out, so that should mean that it should always work without ever needing glue.

Internal workings- runners, guides, kickers (which you can't really see in the photo, but are above the drawer to keep it from dropping down when pulled out), drawer stops, and pocket holes in the back with screws to hold the top down. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete